Orthopedic problems can affect anyone at any time, age, or place. You can’t always avoid and predict accidents, injuries, and other causes of pain. You also don’t want minor aches to turn into major health concerns. Thus, it’s in your best interests to know when to see an orthopedic doctor.
Let’s talk about when you need to see an orthopedic doctor and where you can go in Kingsport, TN, to find the best orthopedic doctor.
Immediate Treatment of Injuries and Other Conditions
Fractures and similar injuries need urgent medical help. Orthopedic doctors treat injuries and other conditions before they affect your quality of life. They may offer operative treatments when conservative methods don’t improve your condition.
Doctors use this low-risk procedure for diagnosis and treatment. An arthroscope or a long tiny camera is inserted into the joints to capture the inside view of the affected joint. This tool is connected to an external video monitor that projects the internal structures of the joint.
Arthroscopy can help trace the cause of the joint problem. If surgery is necessary, the orthopedic surgeon will use small tools to address the problem.
Spinal fusion can address back and neck pains, vertebrae injuries, disc issues, and scoliosis. This procedure involves fusing adjacent vertebrae to help them heal as a single, solid component.
Total Joint Replacement
Also called arthroplasty, this procedure replaces a damaged joint with a plastic and metal prosthesis. It is for patients who have chronic and significant pain. Likewise, conservative treatments have not worked for them.
When fractures are complex, orthopedic doctors must keep the bones in place. They use implants, plates, rods, screws, and wires as support for bone healing.
Diagnosing Pain and Other Orthopedic Conditions
If you get into an accident, are injured, or are experiencing pain, you need to consult with an orthopedic doctor for a diagnosis. A proper diagnosis is vital to work out the treatment you need. The following will help your doctor determine your orthopedic condition:
- Physical Examination. Orthopedic doctors may assess your concern by looking for obvious injury signs or using mobility metrics.
- Comprehensive Patient Health History. This can give your orthopedic doctor a bigger picture of your health. Depending on your personal and family health history, you may be prone to certain conditions.
- Diagnostic tests. To thoroughly define your orthopedic issue, a provider may request bone density, nerve conduction test, blood test, x-rays, CT or MRI scans.
Chronic Disease Management
Without guided medical help, chronic orthopedic conditions like arthritis may worsen over time. Not all conditions require surgery. For chronic musculoskeletal system disorders, an orthopedic doctor may also offer:
- Over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Prescription medicines for some types of arthritis
- Home exercise regimen and workout programs
- Steroid and anti-inflammatory injections
- Mobility aids and accessories like braces and orthotic footwear
- Immobilization techniques using splints and casts
- Lifestyle modifications, including diet and physical activity
Consult an orthopedic doctor if you are experiencing persistent and worsening chronic pain. They will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan for your condition.
Orthopedic issues can be painstaking and debilitating. Stiffness and problematic joints can decrease your range of motion. Injuries, muscle pain, and ligament issues can make even walking difficult.
If bone and muscle issues make completing your daily tasks and activities challenging, do not hesitate to visit an orthopedic doctor. They can help you get back on track with pharmaceutical therapy, physical and occupational therapy, alternative medicine, or surgery as a last resort.
Visiting an orthopedic doctor at the early onset of pain will help you make timely and cost-effective choices. They can also help mitigate complications and prevent further injury.
Prevent Future Injuries
An orthopedic doctor can help you prevent injuries. They can offer health advice and recommendations to help heal and prevent re-injury.
This may include the following:
- Limiting your physical activity based on your present health condition
- Recommending a manageable diet to strengthen bones and expedite muscle repair
- Refer you to a sports medicine doctor or physical therapist, if needed
- Guide you in choosing footwear and wearables to prevent strains and muscle issues
- Sharing techniques for stretching, using gym equipment, and working out in the safest and most efficient way
- Help correct your posture through assistive devices and tools
- Give tips while recovering from previous injuries to prevent them from coming back
- Make prevention plans to avoid movement injuries
Skilled Orthopedic Doctor in Kingsport, TN
Don’t let musculoskeletal problems hinder you from living a healthy life. Here at Associated Orthopaedics, our team of orthopedic doctors ensures patients will receive only the best orthopedic care in Kingsport, TN. We offer a wide range of services to provide long-lasting relief for many orthopedic concerns.
Experience our top-notch services by calling us at (423) 245-3161. You may also book an appointment online. We look forward to serving you!