If you’re like most people, you consult with your family doctor at the first sign of an unusual illness or injury. However, if your condition or injury involves pain or immobility in your musculoskeletal system (bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and other connective tissues), your best bet is to see an orthopedist as soon as possible.
An orthopedist is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries or degenerative conditions that affect your shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees, ankles, feet, and spine. An orthopedic physician can determine the underlying cause of your pain or discomfort quicker, save you from a great deal of suffering, restore your range of motion and capability, and get you back to doing the things you enjoy that much faster.
Whether you’re dealing with a degenerative condition, such as arthritis or osteoporosis, or a work- or sports-related injury, orthopedic doctors can help to benefit both your short- and long-term health. Let’s talk about when it is in your best interest to have an evaluation and treatment by a skilled orthopedic doctor, and where you can go in Kingsport for world-class orthopedic treatment so you can enjoy an active, pain-free lifestyle once again.
Benefits of Seeing an Orthopedic Doctor
In addition to determining the source of your chronic or acute joint pain or muscle pain, an orthopedic doctor can provide the following benefits:
- Reducing or Eliminating Pain – Whether your orthopedic pain is due to an injury or a health condition, such as osteoarthritis, your orthopedist can efficiently diagnose the problem and recommend an effective treatment plan to reduce the inflammation that is causing the pain. Typical therapies include wearing a special brace to alleviate pressure on the area, receiving physician-administered corticosteroid or hydrocortisone injections directly into the painful area, and physical therapy.
- Restoring Normal Functionality – Patients often experience debilitating stiffness and limited range of motion following an injury or as a result of conditions like arthritis. This can have a significantly negative impact on your daily life, interfering with virtually everything you want to do. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose the specific issue and recommend treatments that will help to improve your joint functionality.
- Improving Your Exercise and Sports Performance – Orthopedic doctors who are specially trained in sports medicine can quickly diagnose and treat injuries that are frequently sustained by physically active individuals, as these people are more susceptible to various types of musculoskeletal injuries and require quicker recovery to get back in the game. These sports medicine specialists can create a personalized plan to help enhance the performance of professional and amateur athletes, and thereby minimize the negative long-term effects of rigorous physical activity.
- Providing Surgical Treatment If and When Needed – When conservative treatment measures fail to relieve pain and to improve mobility, orthopedic surgeons can employ advanced, minimally invasive surgical techniques to resolve musculoskeletal issues and to restore normal function. Often, these surgical procedures are performed in an outpatient setting, enabling patients to start recovering at home later the same day.
Comprehensive Orthopedic Care in Kingsport, TN
If you are seeking state-of-the-art orthopedic care in East Tennessee by medical professionals who will treat you with the utmost compassion and respect, look no further than Associated Orthopaedics. Our highly trained and skilled orthopedic physicians work collaboratively to diagnose, treat, and manage a wide variety of orthopedic conditions and injuries.
Our services include:
- Diagnosis and treatment for patients who have damage to the knees, feet, ankles, hips, shoulders, or elbows as a result of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or injuries
- Hand and wrist surgery to treat fractures, arthritis, or deformities
- Individualized treatment plans which are designed specifically to maximize recovery of joint function
- Prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of exercise- or sports-related injuries
To learn more about our comprehensive orthopedic services or to schedule an appointment, call Associated Orthopaedics today at (423) 245-3161 or fill out our convenient online request an appointment form now. We look forward to being your orthopedic partner!